Friday 14 December 2018

Deepening

Not too much fun lately. Henry and I have both been sick, so lots of cuddles, not much fun time. What can you do, right? It's that time of year. But it still fills me with contentment because when I see my husband, I see the man that I am happy sharing my life with. He is the first person I want to talk to when something interesting or exciting happens, and the last person I want to say goodnight to. I feel like he loves me and appreciates me for who I am, faults and all, and that I can just be my weird self and it's all okay.

Doesn't everyone deserve a love like that? And, of course, he's great in the sack, too ;) I certainly got lucky when it comes to him. I don't know what forever will bring... I know what can happen now, all too clearly. But I was willing to roll the dice on it with him. I'm still a hopeless romantic at heart, what can I say?

A friend made a comment that left me feeling thinky, so I wanted to share that here; perhaps it will help some of you as well.

You and your partner are looking at a glass bowl containing a fish. You look at it and think "What a pretty fish!". Your partner looks at it and thinks "What a pretty bowl!". You're both looking at the same thing, but you're taking away two entirely different things. On your own, you would never likely appreciate the beauty of the bowl; you're caught up in the fish. Together, you get to enjoy each other's unique perspectives and insights; your differences can become strengths when you share your thoughts and ideas, as long as you don't get into a yelling match "No, it's a pretty FISH! Who cares about your stupid bowl!"

Henry and I are very different people, with different likes, dislikes, and interests. The thing that we share so solidly though is our desire to make things work together. To respect each other as people, to assume good intentions even when things go wrong. To leave space for us to be ourselves. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether you think the fish or the bowl is pretty; what matters is that you got the chance to experience it from your partner's viewpoint, that you listened to what they were saying, and validated them even if you don't agree.

Sometimes life isn't sexy, but relationship skills are important too, right? :)

Things are continuing to go well with Charles, too. The other day, we were cuddled up on the couch, and he told me that he loves me, too. Like I said about Henry, there isn't much that beats hearing that someone you love, loves you back, the very first time. Definitely a happy making moment.

The holidays are going to be pretty busy, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to get up to. I'm looking forward to a big dungeon party with Henry tomorrow night, though. After that? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment