Tuesday 18 February 2020

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've had a really lovely weekend with Henry. We don't normally celebrate Valentine's Day, but it fell on a Friday and since that's our relatively newly designated date night (well, last six months or so anyway), we decided to do something just a tad bit more special. Unfortunately, Henry's chronic health problems were flaring up, so instead of having all our special plans on one day, we spread them out over the whole weekend. Which actually might have been fortunate, except that I'd never want to call a partner's discomfort fortunate!

On Friday, we made delicious appetizers and had some family time with Kiddo watching his favourite show, and then watched Chasing Amy. Man, that movie has aged badly and I spent a bunch of time yelling at the TV. But I tend to do that anyway; it's like sports for me :P

Saturday, we took it easy. Spent family time with Kiddo and then I made a yummy fish chowder from a meal box. Like I've said before, I really enjoy those meal boxes. I find it's yet another way to make dinner an activity and a way to connect, rather than just being food. There are so many ways to make food social.

Sunday, we decided to eat the rest of the treats we had bought, so we made smoked salmon toasts, a shrimp ring, empanadas, and pumpernickel bread with spinach dip. It was delicious. Then we had dessert in bed- white chocolate raspberry cake and a bottle of very nice champagne. This weekend has been horrible for the diet but so worth it! Quality time is so important (and no it doesn't have to be food but I don't mind that we do it sometimes). I know we get so much functional time with nesting partners, but I want to make sure we get lots of special time too.

It's actually funny, Charles was saying the other day that we get the good times and the bad times but very little of the in-between times in our relationship, and he's right. Whereas my marriage gets a lot of the in between times. No real easy way to make that trade, though! I suggested that we do more just hanging out in each other's space in a low key sort of way, and I guess we'll see how that goes.

I miss Charles since I haven't seen him since last Wednesday, but looking forward to spending at least part of the next two days with him given that he still has work.

So nothing earthshattering has been going on- I'm not a fan of huge fancy gifts or extravagant gestures for events like Valentine's Day- but I have been enjoying the content reflection and love with my favourite people.

No comments:

Post a Comment